A thesis paper outline is a simple way of ensuring that each of your paragraphs serves a specific purpose in your paper. All students need to master this writing tool as it helps you organize your work.
What is a Thesis Outline?
A thesis outline is an organizational tool that writers use in their academic and professional thesis papers. Like a blueprint for your essay, it forms the foundation of the entire writing process. It is used to structure the main ideas into a list of easy and quick to follow contents.
Creating a thesis outline is vital in the following ways:
- It gives a precise organization of the ideas
- Identifies parts of the paper that need special attention
- It singles out sections that need to be reduced or omitted
- Helps create connections and transitions where necessary
- It enables a student to fit the ideas systematically
Having a clearly defined thesis statement is better than a thousand thesis writers being dispatched at your disposal.
Thesis Outline Template
Now, what will make or break your master’s thesis outline or senior thesis outline is understanding its structure. It is not enough to have what to write but how to register it as well. That is why you need this template when writing a thesis outline.
Thesis Outline Format
A conventional thesis paper will have the following sections:
- Introduction (contains the background and thesis statement)
- The body paragraphs
- The conclusion
To attain this thesis structure’s best, you have to understand each part’s significance and how it contributes to the overall thesis paper. Let us look at how to write a thesis outline while delving deep into every section.
Thesis topic outline
A topic is described as the trigger button of your paper. It will determine whether your reader will have the interest to read your thesis or not. Therefore, when you are thinking about your thesis topic, consider the following:
- It should be brief and to the point (Do not explain or illustrate, just state)
- Use the keywords provided in the assignment for your topic
- AVOID using punctuations at the end
- It should be an eye-catcher and act as a bait
For you to have a good thesis topic, it should offer a solution. Nobody wants to spend his precious time on a paper that does not address a prevailing societal problem.
- How to do a thesis statement outline
The thesis statement is written in the introductory paragraph. Since this is the main idea for your paper, there is no room for error. Start with an attention-grabber that will lead the reader to your thesis statement.
Example of an attention grabber: Did you know that the average person who stays at home every day consumes over 10 tons of calories in a week?
Sample thesis statement: Excess calorie is a contributing factor to the high obesity rates patients witnessed in hospitals.
When creating a thesis statement outline, ensure that it relates to your introductory paragraph’s first two or three statements. Let it come out clearly so that the reader is prepared for what is coming next in the paper’s body.
- The body paragraphs
They are made up of arguments in support of the thesis statement. This section carries a lot of weight as it either persuades or turns off the reader. Here is an outline for thesis paper body paragraphs:
- Identify the main points
- Look for supporting ideas or evidence
- Have a list of transitional words from one section to another
The body of a thesis consists of the Literature Review, Research Methods, Results, and Discussion. It is recommended to begin with the literature review first before proceeding to the other two sections.
Since the Discussion is the longest part of the thesis, ensure that you gather all the necessary information needed to furnish it. In this part, you will need to identify the following aspects of your research process:
- Limitations of your study,
- Explanations for unexpected results, and
- Identify any questions that remain unanswered.
Every argument should be crystal clear to prevent any doubt or object on the part of the reader.
- The Conclusion
Though it appears last, it is one of the most critical sections of your thesis. It is the chapter that shows whether you achieved your research objectives or not. In this part, you can point out the following:
- Point out the challenges you encountered in your study
- Your lessons from the research
- Make recommendations for future research
The conclusion should be a point where you identify whether every hypothesis was met or objective was achieved. It is vital to note that this chapter should short and clear to the end. Now that you have argued your case make this as your final nail to the coffin.
How To Make a Thesis Outline – Step By Step Guide
A superb outline can ease your research process and make your thesis writing process quick and easy. When you are thinking of creating a thesis paper outline, consider the following steps:
- Read and understand the question first. If your tutor has given you a topic or question for your thesis, ensure that you digest it well to understand what is required of you. It will help to align your thesis outline correctly.
- Check for similar thesis outlines on the same topic. You can Google for any reliable thesis outline example that is similar to your topic of research. By doing this, you will get a rough idea of what is expected of you.
- Consult with your professor on the thesis outline format for your institution. Different institutions have varying structures, and thus, you need to use one that matches your institution’s house style.
- Do not rush into creating the outline. Before you draft your strategy, ensure that you have all the essentials at your fingertips first. Since this will be your guiding principle, it should be devoid of any errors or bogus steps.
After setting your house in order, writing your thesis paper is now time for the real task.
If you did not know how to create a thesis outline, we hope that this writing guide has served that purpose for you. Nevertheless, we also have a thesis writing service that offers students with online assistance.
Get help with thesis outline at affordable rates today. You can also find a master thesis outline example from gurus who have been in this business for decades. What is holding you now?