Our academic experts understand how hard it can be to come up with original accounting research paper topics for assignments. Students are often dealing with multiple responsibilities and trying to balance numerous deadlines. Searching the web or class notes takes up a lot of time. Therefore, we have put together our list of 150 accounting research topics that students can choose from or gather inspiration from.
Managerial Accounting Topics for College Students
This area of study has tremendous upside as more businesses rely on managerial accountants to bring innovative changes to their organizations. Here is a list of topics for research paper in this area:
- Differences between financial accounting and managerial accounting.
- Managerial accounting in the 21st century.
- The impact of managerial accounting in big businesses.
- The major components of activity-based costing.
- How managerial accounting affects international finance.
- The impact managerial accounting has on human resources.
- The major components of capital budgeting.
- How managerial accounting affects internal business decisions.
- Effective ways of adopting managerial accounting into small businesses.
- Differences between variable costing and absorption costing.
Accounting Blog Topics for Today’s Generation
The following collection can be considered accounting hot topics because they deal with the issues that are most important to today’s generation of accountants that utilize advanced software to keep businesses successful:
- Cost of manufacturing goods overseas.
- The cost of instituting anti-harassment programs.
- Inventory and cost of products sold in the U.S.
- Reinventing accounts payable processes.
- Using best practices to boost the bottom line.
- The cost of keeping human resources on staff.
- Simplifying procedures in accounts payable.
- The cost of updating internal systems with technology.
- The cost-effectiveness of employee training.
- Working capital increasing in large companies.
Advanced Accounting Topics
As students advance academically, they may want to consider these topics for research paper to earn higher scores in their classes. Here are some suggestions:
- How to run an efficient large accounting department.
- Red flags in outdated accounting processes.
- Identifying unconventional processes in payment processes.
- Utilizing paperless processes in small businesses.
- Applying EDP to accounts payable processes.
- The benefits of automating payables and receivables.
- Outsourcing procurement processes to save money.
- Automation to handle repetitive processes.
- The need for diversifying skills in accounting.
- The ways time affects seasonal cash flow.
Controversial Accounting Topics
Many accounting topics for research papers need to draw a reader’s attention right from the start. This list of topics is controversial and should accomplish just that:
- The impact the Jobs Act will have on large businesses.
- The positive effects tax cuts will have on small business.
- The risks of offshore accounting on U.S. businesses.
- The need to update software each year to avoid accounting problems.
- How small businesses are falling behind in accounting practices.
- The impact bonus depreciation allows businesses.
- Applying to government relief programs.
- Describe the role the internet has on accounting.
- The trustworthiness of online accounting programs.
- The negatives of auditing collusion.
Intermediate Accounting Topics
These accounting paper topics are meant for students that have acquired skills in writing but may not have developed the skills needed to write a top-notch paper quite yet. They should be easy to research given a proper planning period:
- Discuss why companies need to incorporate automated processes.
- The problems with ethics in accounting practices.
- Technology advancements that improve accounting accuracy.
- The problem with accuracy in decade-old software.
- Explain the best way to help accountants work manually.
- Describe the historical prospect of best accounting practices.
- The most effective way to become a certified accountant.
- Compare accounting systems that improve processes.
- The quick flow of data and the value on today’s accountants.
- The negatives that come from relying on accounting software.
Interesting Accounting Topics
Sometimes you need to consider accounting project topics that would be great for numerous situations. You may need to present before a class or write a paper for a discussion panel. These ideas may suit your needs:
- Explain the concept of accounting theory to practice.
- The theories behind normative accounting practices.
- The effect theories in accounting have on businesses.
- Challenges of taking theory to practice.
- The major changes in accounting practices over the last 25 years.
- The impact the internet has had on accounting ethics.
- Accounting practices in the 21st century.
- The challenges of accounting technologies on fast-growing companies.
- The dangers the internet poses toward ethical accounting.
- Describe the difficulties that come from putting theories into practice.
Accounting Projects Topics for a Short Project
Some cost accounting topics are worthy of an audience but need to be completed within a tight deadline. These project ideas are easy to research and can be completed within one week:
- Use of efficient accounting software in tax season.
- Applicable Professional and Legal Standards.
- The difficulties in using offshore accounting.
- The most effective way of managing earnings.
- The development of cash flow in the United Kingdom.
- The development of cash flow in the United States.
- The best way to manage personal finances.
- The effect financial markets have on personal spending.
- Debt management in large corporations.
- Accounting challenges during the pandemic.
Forensic Accounting Research Topics
This is another area of accounting that has a promising future for small to large businesses. Here are forensic accounting research paper topics you can use if you are interested in this booming segment:
- Methods for identifying instances of money laundering.
- The government’s right to search private accounts.
- The use of tax records to report possible crimes.
- Class action litigation cases in the United States.
- Court use of forensic accounting in criminal cases.
- Forensic accounting to develop better anti-fraud programs.
- A company’s reliance on forensic accounting to prevent theft.
- Establishing controls in emerging international markets.
- Forensic accountants and their role in court proceedings.
- Natural disaster and loss quantification practices.
Accounting Theory Topics for College
Good accounting thesis topics should mirror personally important issues. Essay ideas should reflect the things you want to learn more about and explore in-depth. Here is a list that may pique your interest:
- Impact of accounting research on financial practices.
- Scientific research studies in modern economies.
- Modern accounting concepts and applications.
- The change in accounting practices over the last two decades.
- Describe the components of Positive Theory.
- Marketplace discipline across major industries.
- Major accounting theories and techniques in big businesses.
- The use of technology to reduce accounting costs.
- Technology theory in the use of modern accounting.
- Risk management and the most effective theories.
Accounting Dissertation Topics for Grad Students
The following topic ideas delve into some serious issues in accounting and are much more difficult to handle. These should be approached with the utmost academic determination to earn a master’s or a Ph.D.:
- Compare accounting software versus manual accounting.
- Tax management procedures in the 21st century.
- The risks of updated technology in small companies.
- The costs associated with broader health care in the workplace.
- The history of accounting in the 20th century.
- The best method of managing debts without difficulties.
- Accounting problems caused by online transactions.
- Cryptocurrency and its impact on modern accounting practices.
- Forecasting jobs in the field of accounting.
- The danger technology poses to the accounting industry.
Current Accounting Topics for College
If you don’t have enough time to research current topics in accounting, these ideas will help you save time. There are plenty of online resources discussing current issues and you can also find information in the library:
- Compare and contrast different cryptocurrencies.
- The definition of a successful and modern business account.
- Non-profit organizations and tax reductions.
- Sports accounting in today’s world of social media.
- The financial benefits of having a second stream of revenue.
- Financial stock management of overall earnings.
- The relationship between corporate donations and accounting.
- Minimizing risks in big and small-sized businesses.
- The impact that tax deductions have on big businesses.
- Financial strategies to ensure employee retention.
Hot Topics in Accounting for a Graduate Level Course
These are the topics you should be considered for a graduate-level course if you want to make a great impression on the professor. Just be sure to do your due diligence and research your selected topic thoroughly:
- The instances of “cooking books” in the 21st century.
- The best approach to update accounting systems.
- Fraud cases currently in the United States.
- The importance of forensic accountants in fraud cases.
- The reasons account reports have government regulations.
- The benefits of incorporating computerized accounting.
- The need for companies to make changes to accounting departments.
- Evolving accounting practices that reduce the risk of theft.
- The effects offshore gambling has had on accounting.
- Privacy protocols to keep accounting practices secret.
Financial Accounting Topics Being Discussed Today
Topics in accounting are rooted in financial processes that date back centuries. Yet, there are still many innovative ideas that drive business success. Consider these topics for an essay on issues that are current for today’s world:
- The evolution of accounting practices over the last century.
- The biggest ethical concerns about accounting.
- Minimizing taxes when you are a small company.
- Accounting software that will cut company costs.
- The best way to lower taxes through accounting practices.
- Describe the way managerial accounting is affected by international markets.
- Explain the major factors of management earnings.
- The most accurate way to figure out the estimated tax on a company’s earnings.
- The quickest way to become a certified accountant.
- Describe how culture influences accounting practices.
Accounting Information Systems Research
The next set of topics are great for anyone wanting to combine accounting with technology. We put together this set to generate interest in this area:
- The ways small businesses can benefit from advanced technologies.
- Describe how IT affects financial analysis for reporting.
- Explain how companies use AIS to collect and store data.
- Explain the 10 elements used to understand AIS.
- Rank the best accounting information systems.
- The future of AIS in small business financial practices.
- Explain how AIS eliminates the use of balance sheets.
- AIS technologies save money in large businesses.
- The future of AIS in small to mid-size businesses.
- Describe the role of AIS in modern business.
Accounting Presentation Topics for College
These presentation topics cover a wide range of areas that are perfect for diverse interests. At the college level, students must conduct a lot of academic research to guarantee they have all the most relevant information needed to present on a great topic:
- Describe how forensic accounting can reduce risk to small businesses.
- Describe the challenges value and cost that managers deal with.
- The biggest changes to accounting practices in the 21st century.
- The benefits of having separate controlling accounts.
- The rapid flow of data and the importance of modern accountants.
- Describe how forensic accountants conduct their investigations.
- The most likely causes of financial instability in small businesses.
- Explain the factors one must consider before investing.
- Describe the differences between financial and management accounting.
- Describe the impact of new taxation policies on managerial accounting.
What do you think of our accounting research topics? These are available for free and can be shared with other students. If you need a custom list of accounting topics, our academic experts can take your assignment details and provide you with original and simple accounting research topics to facilitate your project and help you earn a top grade. We can also provide you with writing, editing, and proofreading services to ensure your assignment is error-free and gets you the highest score possible.