Did you know that on this page, you can find 198 original art history thesis topics that you can’t find anywhere else? Our art experts and professional writers have created this list over the last couple of months. In fact, we are updating the list periodically to make sure each student who visits our blog has the chance to find a unique topic that he or she can write a thesis on.
In addition to the exceptional topics, we also have some tips and tricks on how to write the perfect thesis without spending months working on it. This blog post includes the chapters you need to write (with a short explanation of each one), as well as some of the things you need to keep in mind when writing a thesis. Let’s get started!
Writing the Best Art History Thesis Paper
As you probably know already, finding some original art history thesis topics is just one part of the thesis writing process. Because we know most students don’t have any experience writing theses, we will briefly talk about some of the key characteristics of a good thesis paper. We will start with the structure. Here are the main chapters you should have in your paper:
- Introduction: This is the part where you will present your thesis statement, as well as discuss the significance of your thesis and present the research questions, limitations and assumptions.
- Review of Related Literature: Use this chapter to discuss what you have learned from other works in your field that pertain to your chosen topic. Show your readers why your research is relevant to the topic.
- Design and Methodology: In this chapter, you will need to present the design and discuss the methods you have used to gather the data or the evidence to support your thesis statement. A reader should be able to replicate your study after reading this chapter.
- Findings: This is the part where you can discuss your findings and show your readers why and how they support your thesis. You can include a part where you make recommendations for further research, if necessary.
- Conclusion: The final chapter of your paper, the Conclusion is the place where you summarize everything and reemphasize the main points of your paper. Refrain from introducing any new information here.
Apart from structuring your thesis correctly, you should keep a few other important things in mind. Here are some of the things that will help you get a better grade on your research paper, according to our expert academic writers:
- Make sure you only gather data from reliable sources. Also, remember to cite and reference each source you use.
- Format your thesis correctly, in accordance with the guidelines in the style book. Each style (APA, MLA, Chicago, Turabian, etc.) has a style book that you can usually find online for free.
- Edit your work thoroughly and make sure your logic and clarity are perfect. Also make sure you are not using technical terms that you have not defined previously.
- Think about what examiners want to see or try to learn what they are looking for. After all, you want a top grade, don’t you?
- Do your best to come up with a unique, interesting thesis. Think long and hard about how you will write the thesis statement.
- Get feedback from your supervisor as early as possible. This can prevent some serious delays and rewrites.
- Find some original art history thesis topics and choose the one you think would thrill the evaluation committee.
Fortunately for you, the last tip is something we can help you with right now. We have 198 original art history thesis topics right here on this page. You can use any of them for free. No, you don’t even need to give us any credit. That is our thesis writing help to begin with going through these topics shouldn’t take you more than 5 minutes, so what are you waiting for?
Easy Thesis Topics in Art History
We’ll start our list with some easy thesis topics in art history. Choose any of these ideas if you want to spend as little time as possible writing your paper:
- Discuss the Gothic stained glass
- Compare ancient Egyptian and Roman art
- The important of Mona Lisa
- An in-depth look at the Romanesque style
- An in-depth look at Amarna Art
- Discuss art in the Golden Age
- Analyze the life of Claude Monet
- What is reformed naturalism?
- Peculiarities of the surrealist movement
- Discuss art in the Notre Dame
- Talk about sculptures in a cathedral of your choice
- Research the life of Picasso
- Talk about political views in sculpture
- The peculiarities of Gothic art
- How important are recurring subjects in art?
Art History Research Questions
The best way to come up with a great topic is to go through some art history research questions. To help you out, we have compiled a list of the best ones below:
- What is photogravure and why is it important?
- What are the peculiarities of Scandinavian weaving?
- What are some characteristics of Egyptian art?
- How important is art as part of the curriculum?
- What is the role of life in modern art?
- Which artist had the biggest influence on contemporary art?
- What makes Gothic paintings special?
- Can you talk about the Dadaist movement?
- What is real art?
- Can you talk about the history is symbols in Gothic paintings?
- How did art evolve in Ancient Rome?
- Why is Leonardo Da Vinci so popular?
- How important is nature in ancient art?
- When did Cubism first appear?
- How were ancient works of art preserved?
Art in the 19th Century Topics
In case you want to write a thesis on 19th century art, you have arrived at the right place. Here are some of the best art in the 19th century topics:
- Discuss European painting in the 19th century
- Modernism in the 19th century
- The history of surrealism
- Talk about the focus of 19th century art
- The history of cubism
- The history of symbolism
- Research the Industrial Revolution in art
- Compare symbolism and cubism
- Talk about the Enlightenment movement
- What influenced modern art in the 19th century?
Art History Thesis Topics on the Late Gothic Period
Our experienced writers managed to create a list of art history thesis topics on the late gothic period that you will absolutely love:
- Discuss the vaulted hall churches in Germany
- Major themes in late Gothic sculptures
- Differences between Renaissance and late Gothic art
- Talk about the British Perpendicular style
- Discuss the Flamboyant style
- Compare and contrast the Flamboyant and Perpendicular styles
- Major themes in late Gothic paintings
- The main symbols of Gothic art
- Research the late gothic era in France
- What is the tracery window?
Art History Senior Thesis Topics
Are you working on a senior thesis in art history and need some inspiration? All you have to do is pick one of our art history senior thesis topics for free and start writing:
- Talk about manuscripts in Modernist paintings
- A closer look at the Romanesque style
- The role of life in art
- The history of photography as an art
- An in-depth look at Neoclassicist sculptures
- Art on the Great Wall in China
- Discuss the importance of recurring subjects in art
- The role of nature in art
- An in-depth look at Christian symbols in art
- The first musical instruments
Undergraduate Art History Thesis Topics
Of course, our list of topics would not be complete without some ideas for undergrads. Here are the undergraduate art history thesis topics we think will perform best in 2022:
- Research the Statue of Zeus
- Famous impressionists
- Talk about stained glass windows
- Talk about 3 important Greek sculptures
- Discuss the film industry in Bollywood
- Research the history of pop art
- Primitivism: is it an art?
- Research the history of Venetian carnival masks
- Differences between modernism and cubism
- Discuss the Rococo movement
Art History Photography Thesis Topics
Interested in writing about photography? After all, it is art. Don’t worry about it; we’ve got your back. Here are some original art history photography thesis topics:
- Discuss the history of photography
- Are photographs works of art?
- Famous artworks that are photographs
- Latest advancements in photographic technology
- An in-depth look at lighting and its uses
- Research 3 artists that have made an art out of photography
- An in-depth look at the purpose of photography
- Research the first photo camera
- Famous photographs in art museums in your area
- The life and work of Ansel Adams
- The role of Jonas Leriche in photography
- Discuss the role of the background in photography
- How important is the camera for a photographer?
- What makes a good photographer?
Popular Art History Thesis Topics
If you’re looking for the most popular art history thesis topics, we have some great news for you. We have an entire list of them right here:
- Discuss the Art Nouveau style
- What makes Pablo Picasso’s paintings remarkable?
- An in-depth look at photorealism
- Discuss funerary art in ancient Egypt
- Research the history of Chinese art
- Discuss the role of the abstract in modern paintings
- Composite styles in ancient Rome paintings
- Discuss the rise of modern art in Europe
- An in-depth look at Biblical motifs in Leonardo Da Vinci’s art
- The first art fair in the world
- Discuss the La Tene Celtic art style
- Discuss art in the Feudal Era
- An in-depth look at the history of Japanese art
- Research Mayan paintings
Art History Thesis Topics Greek
Are you interested in talking about Greek art? Do you want some of the best topics for free? You’re in luck because we have some interesting art history thesis topics greek for you right here:
- Analyze the Kore statue in Greece
- Talk about the Mask of Agamemnon
- Research ancient Greek pottery
- Research the Hades abducting Persephone painting
- Discuss the Coloso de Rodas
- Roman sculptures in ancient Greece
- The history of ancient Greek art
- Research ancient Greek architecture
- Discuss the Geometric period
- Research metalwork art in Greece
Art History Thesis Topics Impressionism
Writing your thesis on a topic related to impressionism will surely impress the evaluation committee and your supervisor. Check out these art history thesis topics impressionism ideas:
- Discuss the Impression, Sunrise by Claude Monet
- Research the styles in The Fighting Temeraire
- The depiction of light in impressionism
- Research Pierre-Auguste Renoir’s Dance at Le Moulin de la Galette
- Discuss the embracement of modernity
- The history of the Impressionist movement
- The main ideas of impressionism
- Talk about the style of open composition
- Discuss unusual visual angles
- Talk about the first impressionist exhibition
Art History Research Topics
Your research paper will be memorable if you choose the right topic for it, guaranteed. Take a look at this brand new list of art history research topics and select the one you like the most:
- Talk about women in art
- The history of modernism
- Architecture as a form of art
- The role of the Trojan Horse
- Talk about art as a form of therapy
- The importance of Francisco de Goya’s paintings
- Dreams in works by Dali
- Discuss the rise of pop art
- Art and autism
- Discuss the Art Deco style
Famous Artists and Their Works
It has been demonstrated that finding new and interesting facts about famous artists can get students some bonus points. Here are some ideas related to famous artists and their works:
- The life and works of Leonardo Da Vinci
- The life and works of Pablo Picasso
- Discuss the most important Warhol sculpture
- Dorothea Lange’s contributions to photograph
- Discuss the works of Zeuxis
- The life and works of Michelangelo
- The life and works of Constantin Brancusi
- The life and works of Vincent Van Gogh
- The importance of Marie Tussaud
- An in-depth look at the history of the Mona Lisa
- The life and works of Alberto Giacometti
- Analyze the works of Apelles (370 BC)
- The life and works of Henry Moore
- The life and works of Rembrandt
- The life and photographs of Ansel Adams
Ancient Art History Research Paper Topics
Our experienced academic writers managed to come up with a nice list of ancient art history research paper topics for students looking to start working on their thesis:
- Talk about ancient art in Palestine
- Research primitive art
- Talk about ancient art in China
- Talk about ancient art in Greece
- Characteristics of ancient art
- Talk about ancient art in Rome
- The first work of art in the world
- Talk about ancient art in India
- Talk about ancient art in Mesopotamia
- Characteristics of Persian art
Compare and Contrast Topics in Art History
If you want to write a compare and contrast paper, you are in luck. We have just added these interesting compare and contrast topics:
- Echion and Polygnotus
- Salvador Dali and Michelangelo
- Modern and contemporary art
- Vincent Van Gogh and Raphael
- Compare and contrast two sculptures of your choice
- Impressionism and cubism
- Claude Monet and Leornardo da Vinci
- Compare and contrast two paintings of your choice
- Protogenes and Apollodorus
- Henri Matisse and Frida Kahlo
- Surrealism and modern art
- Rembrandt and Johannes Vermeer
- Compare and contrast two art styles of your choice
- Abstract expressionism and cubism
- Jackson Pollock and Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Controversial Art History Topics
Art history has, like many other fields, plenty of controversies. Why not write your research paper on one of them? Here are some interesting yet controversial art history topics:
- Research the Le Dejeuner sur l’Herbe by Édouard Manet
- An in-depth look at Marcel Duchamp’s Fountain
- Discuss the Campbell’s Soup Cans by Andy Warhol
- What makes an art piece controversial?
- Controversies surrounding Pablo Picasso’s Guernica mural
- Controversies in pop art
- Is graffiti an art?
Contemporary Art History Topics
Do you want to write your thesis on a topic in contemporary art? No problem, we’ve got you covered. Check out these awesome contemporary art history topics and choose one for free:
- The life and work of Takashi Murakami
- The importance of Jenny Saville’s work
- Major themes in contemporary paintings
- Talk about contemporary art motifs on jewelry
- The top 3 greatest contemporary artists
- Talk about contemporary music
- Talk about what makes contemporary art unique
- Contemporary art on ceramics
Renaissance and the Middle Ages topics
Stop wasting your time searching for topics and select one of these brand new (100% original) Renaissance and the Middle Ages topics:
- The life and work of Donatello
- Peculiarities of Sandro Botticelli’s paintings
- The history of the La Pieta
- Research the sculptures of Michelangelo
- The painting of the Sistine Chapel ceiling
- An in-depth look at The Last Judgment painting
- Styles in Caravaggio’s paintings
- The life and works of Matteo Civitali
- Research the Mona Lisa painting
- The importance of Titian’s painting styles
- Research the history of The Birth of Venus
- The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci
- Discuss a painting by Masaccio
- Discuss the David of Michelangelo sculpture
- Research the history of Lorenzo Ghiberti’s sculptures
Get Quality Thesis Writing Help
We know that most students are struggling with their first thesis. Don’t worry, you are certainly not the only one in this position. Truth be told, writing a thesis the right way can be extremely difficult for anyone who has not done it before. This is why, in addition to the exceptional thesis topics art history students are looking for, we are offering top quality custom dissertation help to students who want to get a top grade on their paper.
Get access to an expert online in a matter of minutes. All you have to do is tell us what you need and when you need it. We’ll pair you with one of our professional thesis writers in no time. Are you worried about the quality of our work? We know that the Internet can be a dangerous place, but you can certainly trust us and out experts. Just take a look at the feedback we have received from students like you over the years and decide if you need our services. Our art history thesis writers are ready to start working on your project right now.